Goals & Responsibilities
Nowadays, people are increasingly interested in learning more languages, and sometimes even obliged to. At a large scale, governments and nations try to teach their national language to other nations, and to learn theirs.
Since long past, Persian has been present and influential outside Iranian territory, encompassing vast regions from Aleppo to Kashgar, and from Constantinople to Delhi. Although this presence and influence has diminished excessively due to changes in international relations, there is still great amount of interest and enthusiasm, and various grounds and motivations for learning Persian outside Iran.
In order to strengthen and expand the Persian language and literature abroad, and to create concentration, synergy, and integration in the activities pertaining to this area, and with the intention of making optimal use of the capacities available inside and outside Iran, ‘The Saadi Foundation’ was established in 2012 to be consigned with the strategic management and execution of the educational, research, cultural, and media activities in the domain of expansion of the Persian language and literature abroad, based on the objectives, policies, strategies, and regulations governing the international cultural relations of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Although the foundation is graced with the name of Sheikh Saadi Shirazi, resonating his inimitable status in the history of the Persian language and literature, it is not particularly obliged to carry out any research in the field of Saadi Studies.
The Saadi Foundation not only identifies non-Iranians interested in learning Persian as its addressees and subjects of its activities, but also pursues teaching Persian to the Iranians residing abroad, especially the children and young adults of Iranian ancestry, born overseas and brought up in other countries.
The Saadi Foundation aims to eventually become the main resource and reference to anyone who is interested in learning Persian outside or inside Iran, as well as to all individuals and institutions who somehow deal with teaching the Persian language and literature across the world, from prestigious universities to small kindergartens.
Major Responsibilities & Activities
1. To compile standard methodologies of teaching the Persian language and literature proper to different educational stages and courses.
2. To support the establishment and development of courses, curriculum, college majors, and educational and research centers in the field of the Persian language and literature, as well as Iran chambers, in other countries.
3. To hold and support refresher and specialized courses of the Persian language and literature inside and outside Iran.
4. To establish a modern distance teaching system of the Persian language and literature.
5. To dispatch Persian language and literature teachers to hold short- and long-term courses abroad.
6. To develop and produce the Persian language teaching materials, such as books, software, and educational resources and aids in different languages and to support the production of such resources and products elsewhere.
7. To provide departments and chairs of the Persian language and literature as well as other related educational centers worldwide, with books and other educational resources.
8. To award scholarships and fellowships to foreign students, professors, and researchers in the field of the Persian language and literature.
9. To hold regional and international Olympiads and standard placement tests of the Persian language and literature.
10. To cooperating with the NGOs in the field of the Persian language and literature, inside and outside Iran.
11. To compile databases of the Persian language and literature in different countries.
12. To hold Persian courses as a second foreign language, in high schools abroad.
13. To hold the Persian language and calligraphy courses for the 3rd and the 4th generation of Iranians residing outside of Iran.
14. To form various clubs for professors, students, and alumni of the Persian language and literature around the world, and to support their activities.
The Office of International Affairs
Tel: +98-21-22 41 43 81